Following the merger, the captain of the “Hartford,” a man named Millard, proceeded to the original town site at the fork of the two rivers. He, along with two other men, claimed the town site and renamed it Millard. It seems that the backers of this new city were not too active except in the sale of town lots in the East and Millard existed only as a “paper” town.
Another town, Humbolt, was then planned for the site by some local farmers a year or so later, but again, no one actually resided in the town.
It was in the fall of 1857 that a group of settlers in the area once more made an attempt at establishing a town at the junction of the rivers This time the name Junction City was given to the site and work was begun on the first buildings in the spring of 1858. In February 1859, Junction City was incorporated by a special act of Kansas Legislature and by 1860 it had begun to resemble the busy trading center first envisioned by its founders.