Main Street Farmer’s Market
Organization and Rules Overview:
Location: Parking lot across from Junction City Fire Department at the corner of 8th and Jefferson streets
Season: May – October
Kick Off: May 4, 2024
Schedule: Saturdays, 8:30 AM– 1:00 PM
Main Street Market will operate under the umbrella of Junction City Main Street. Main Street Market will have multiple components to include, but not limited to: a Farmer’s Market and a Maker’s Market. There will be entertainment, contests, and special events and activities throughout the season.
The mission of Main Street Farmer’s Market is to:
- Support our local agriculture and businesses by providing a space for direct-to-consumer sales.
- Enhance community health by improving access to healthy fresh foods and education to residents in Junction City, Geary County, and surrounding areas.
- Serve as a place to enjoy diverse food cuisine and diets embracing the cultural heritage of our community.
- Bolster ongoing efforts for Junction City downtown revitalization creating economic opportunities for current and future downtown businesses.
- Encourage cooperation from all sellers, buyers, and volunteers to make it a success, realizing the value of working together for economic progress.
- Enrich the quality of life.
- Main Street Farmer’s Market is operated by Junction City Main Street, a registered 501c3 non-profit corporation.
- The Main Street Market Manager is an independent contractor, hired by Junction City Main Street, and will oversee the various components of Main Street Market to include, but not limited to, the Farmer’s Market and the Maker’s Market.
- The Main Street Market Committee will strive to have representation of vendors from both the Farmer’s Market and the Maker’s Market, Junction City Main Street, and other community partners to
provide open communication.
- The Farmer’s Market will work with the Junction City Main Street Market to update policies, increase sustainability, and evaluate programs.
- At least 50% of products available at the market must be fresh produce, or seedlings.
Vendors are required to:
- Pre-register with the Farmer’s Market. Online registration is available at junctioncitymainstreet.org.
- Notify the market manager by 4 pm Thursday before the market if you won’t be in attendance for those with seasonal reservations. Payment of the season fee guarantees a permanent space in the market for
the full market season.
- Notify the market manager by 4 pm Thursday before the market if you would like to attend, for those with weekly reservations.
- Comply with KS Department of Agriculture Farmers Market Regulations and Food Safety Best Practices MF3138 Foods Sold Direct to Consumers in Kansas: Regulations and Food Safety Best Practices (ksu.edu) and Geary County Health Department public health directives
- Clearly label any items not grown within the state of Kansas with their state of origin.
- Have at least 75% of items on a vendor’s table grown, made, or have had value added to [homegrown, handmade, or homemade] unless given prior approval of the Market Manager.
- Use hand sanitizer, gloves, and/or handwashing stations before and frequently during the market
- Vendors are expected to be good ambassadors for the market. Use of tobacco, vaping, profane language, drugs, and alcohol consumption are not allowed. Socially acceptable behavior is expected. Selling techniques should be in good taste. Distracting or deterring customers from approaching another vendor’s stall is discouraged.
- Remain at the market until closing time to avoid safety hazards for customers and vendors. Exceptions will be kept to a minimum, should be discussed with and approved by the Market Manager, and will be assigned a space by the market manager to ensure safety in the market area.
- Bring their own tables, chairs, and display items.
- Clean up their space and take any trash with them when they leave.
- Set their own prices but are strongly encouraged to remain competitive with other vendors.
- Communicate any questions, concerns, or constructive ideas to the Market Manager.
- The vendor map (or vendor communication) will be emailed to vendors by end of Friday of each week for those with seasonal reservations if there are changes in set-up location. Weekly vendors will set up by the order they are received, in available stalls, on a first serve basis. If there are any questions the vendor is responsible for contacting the market manager prior to set-up.
- Set-up begins at 7:00 AM each Saturday. Vendors should be set-up no later than 8:00 AM. If there is a need to set up at an earlier time, please coordinate this possibility with the Market Manager.
- Booths must be within the space allowed and as directed by the Market Manager.
- Each vendor should maintain their sales area in a neat, clean, and orderly condition. All produce and products offered for sale should be displayed in a neat, clean and attractive manner.
- Each vendor is responsible for their own property and any damage or injury their property may cause at the market.
- Each vendor must pay the applicable stall fees as follows:
a. Regular stall (not to exceed 10’ wide): $10 per week OR $200 annually paid in full on or before the first market of the season, with a $50 non-refundable deposit due upon registration.
b. Large stall (not to exceed 10’X25′): $15 per week OR $300 annually paid in full on or before the first market of the season, with a $75 non-refundable deposit due upon registration.
- Annual stall fees may be paid by cash or cashier’s check or through the website by debit or credit card; weekly stall fees may be paid by cash or check or through the website by debit or credit card. Checks are made payable to Junction City Main Street Market with Farmer’s Market written in the memo. Checks may be dropped into the mailbox slot located at the Main Street office at 129 W 7th Street.
- Department of Revenue and Sales Tax Collection
a. Vendors applying for space in the market must have a Kansas States Sales Tax number prior to participating as a market vendor.
b. The collection and submission of sales tax is the responsibility of each vendor selling produce or products in the market and Junction City Main Street Market is not responsible for any vendor’s failure to collect and submit sales to the Kansas Department of Revenue.